Rajasthan Pushkar Camel Fair Tour 2019
Rajasthan is the land of fairs and festivals. Throughout the year, it hosts several festivals depicting the colorful culture and vibrant customs of the region. These fairs and festivals are organized at various locations. Pushkar is one of those places and it hosts the world’s largest cattle fair known as Pushkar Camel Fair. This fair lets the tourists dive into the culture of Rajasthan in detail with the help of various entertaining events and competitions. This fair can be visited by the shopaholics to shop for traditional dresses of Rajasthan and décor items and sumptuous dishes are the best to satisfy the foodie inside you. This fair attracts thousands of tourists from all over the world portraying the colors of Rajasthan set against the backdrop of sand dunes and hills.
Where and When?
As the name of the fair suggests, it is observed in the town of Pushkar, located in the Ajmer district of Rajasthan. This fair is held on an annual basis in the month of November. The celebrations of this fair start from the day of Kartik Ekadashi and continues till the day of Kartik Purnima full moon. The day of the full moon is the core of the fair. Pushkar Camel Fair 2019 will be consecrated from 4 to 12 November 2019.
Why Pushkar Camel Fair?
The primary motive of Pushkar Mela is to encourage local traders to deal in the livestock in the Hindu month of Kartik. Apart from this, the Pushkar event brings together thousands of cows, sheep, camels, etc. This fair is a must-visit to glance at the interesting rituals and varied culture of Rajasthan.
How is the Pushkar Camel Fair celebrated?
The fair is celebrated with great pomp and show. In this event, the camels are shaved and decorated beautifully for the exhibition. These camels participate in the camel races, beauty contests and are even used for the camel rides. The negotiation skills of the dealers trading in camels come to notice. In distinction to all this, many talented musicians, snake charmers, magicians, dancers, etc. grace the occasion.
Things to do at Pushkar Camel Fair
Pushkar offers its guests a plethora of activities to choose from. It has activities for people from all walks of life. Some of the famous things to do are discussed below:
- Shilpgram Handicrafts Bazaar:- Shilpgram is the best spot to shop for the specialties of Rajasthan. It is a marketplace set by the rural artisans and craftsmen. One must shop for something from here to take back home some memories of the Pushkar Mela Tour. Traditionally handcrafted jewelry, splendid paintings, classic leather wears, pretty puppets, etc. can be shopped for in the bustling market.
- Photography Contest:- If you are someone interested in capturing the mesmerizing sights of the fair in your camera, photography contest is the best thing for you. Showcase your expertise at “Frame the Fair” organized by the Rajasthan Tourism and win exciting rewards. Beautiful train of camels, fascinating views of dawn and dusk and ladies carrying colorful odhani are some of the catchy sights. You can also click some Pushkar Fair Photos to remember the occasion afterward.
- Feast upon the savories:- Pushkar Fair Tour is absolutely lacking without the delicious aroma of local delicacies. The dishes like Daal Baati Churma are the must-try to impress the foodie inside you. This will be the most noteworthy moment of your Pushkar Vacation Tour.
- Catch a glimpse of fun-filled competitions:- During Pushkar vacation tour, a lot of competitions and races are held. These provide the guests with an opportunity to witness the fun and talent-filled performances. The list of competitions includes Moustache Contest, Matka Race, Camel Dance, Bride & Groom Contest, Harmony Half Marathon, etc.
- Hot Air Ballooning:- A haven for the adventure enthusiasts come in the form of hot air ballooning. While riding in a hot air balloon, you can enjoy the dazzling views of the Pushkar Fair. Moreover, you can also try your hands-on activities such as paramotoring, horse riding, quad biking, etc.
- Take a holy dip:- In the alluring celebrations of the fair, one must not forget about the religious significance of the event. Many people visit the fair as a pilgrimage and enjoy the religious activities organized at the temples. Taking a dip in the sacred waters of Pushkar Lake is considered holy and it is believed to bring good luck and wipe off all the wrongdoings. This is a must-do thing for many pilgrims.
Where to accommodate?
As the Pushkar Mela is famous all across the world, Pushkar receives huge no. of tourists on this occasion. Therefore, a wide range of options is available for the hassle-free experience of the tourists. You can make yourself comfortable in the deluxe non AC rooms or rooms equipped with all luxuries. But, it is advised to stay in the tents for the best experience during your Pushkar Holiday Tour. These tents are made available by the Skywaltz Pushkar Camp. If you wish to avail all the luxuries in tents, that can also be done.
How to reach Pushkar Camel Fair?
- By Air: Nearest airport to reach the fair is Sanganer Airport, located at a distance of 146 km.
- By Road: Pushkar enjoys good connectivity with all the state and national highways. The fair can be reached by taking regular buses available at Ajmer, Jaipur, etc.
- By Train: Located at a distance of mere 11 km, Ajmer is the closest railway station to reach the fair.
Tips for Pushkar Camel Fair
- Due to the dry season observed by Pushkar in November, it is recommendable to stay hydrated and covered.
- Make sure to make all your bookings in advance to enjoy the fair in its full swing.
- Since Pushkar holds the title of the holy city, consumption of non-vegetarian items and alcohol is strictly prohibited.
- Keep your things well- guarded as the fair receives huge no. of visitors. Beware of the pickpockets and con-men.
Gear up for the unforgettable experience of Pushkar Camel Fair and lose yourself in the colors and festive vibes of the event. Interact with the locals and take home a bunch of lovely memories!